Friday, September 11, 2015

Back to bags

My old friend N's sister ordered 5 totes to take back to the States where she lives now. I maximized the batik she had bought and made 9 pieces! That's a lot considering I haven't been making any for a long while now. I kinda stopped after my sewing machine died on me and I had to wait to get it repaired. Then the teen's camera went kaput and I couldn't take any pictures. Lucky me, my parents got her a new one for her birthday and now I might just be back in business.

After finishing with N's sister's order, I made 14 more that I hope will go on sale at Galeri Petronas, KLCC. Here are some of them...

The two on the right have zippers.

Origami bags!

Thanks N and A for getting me off my ass and back to the sewing machine :)

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Coconut buttercream marshmallow lemon cake

Last week I tried making Lime & Coconut Loaf Cake using this recipe but it turned out a tad too tart for my taste. So, today went back to the Lemon & Rosemary Loaf. This time with frosting and minus the rosemary. 

I used my mother's decades old cake mold and got this pretty shape. 

For the frosting I made Buttercream Marshmallow using two recipes. One for the ingredients and the other for the method. Making cake frosting always feels messy and complicated but all I had to do was mix 
1/3 cup of icing sugar 
1/3 cup softened unsalted butter
1/8 tspn vanilla essence 
and fold in 
3/4 bottle of marshmallow creme

I then sprinkled the Hawaiian Coconut flakes leftover from my last miserable attempt at baking. 

Lovely :)

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Blank cards

Before I got a bit preoccupied with sewing, I started out wanting to make giclee prints of my watercolour illustrations. But there was a lot to consider. A good printer costs a bomb. Archival ink costs a bomb. 300 grams acid free paper costs a bomb. In other words, I just couldn't afford it. I also thought of getting them printed professionally but to keep costs down I'd have to print in bulk and I did not want to get stuck with too much stock. 

Now, I think it may not be such a bad idea after all. So, today I made a few mock up blank cards of my little birdies. I printed on the Toddler's art paper, then cut and pasted them onto some of my precious watercolour paper. 

These cards are W 4.5" X H 7" when closed. They are blank on the inside which makes them perfect for writing or ummm... painting whatever you want.

What do you think of this combo?

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Businesscard holder

Last night I received a lovely email from a lady who saw my bags and pouches at TriBeCa, the pretty little shop in Bangsar Village II. She wrote to say she liked my work and was wondering if I could make something out of batik to hold her businesscards. I was so happy that someone took the time to email me such encouraging words and to make a request. I set to work immediately and sewed this little businesscard holder. I've been wanting to use my small stash of snap buttons so this was a great time to use it. 

Here's my first attempt...

Closed - W 4" X H 3"

I scratched the button in the process but it's still not bad for a first try me thinks :)

Opened - W 4" X H 5.5"

Two layers to fit in the cards.

I don't know if this is what she is looking for but I had fun making it. Thank you MM for your suggestion :)

Will let you know when I have some at TriBeCa. In the meantime, you can visit the shop and check out all the beautiful bags, clothes, homeware, printed artwork and other lovely things made by talented artisans from around the world!

Saturday, November 8, 2014


I thought I should mention I also make my own labels for the bags. I had a TiMi stamp made at a nearby stationery shop and for the ink I use rubber dye to stamp onto cotton tape.

Here I am testing out my stamping skills.

Below are some of the labels stamped and cut. Unfortunately, there's a lot of wastage because I still have a hard time getting them centered, straight and clear but I so prefer making my own labels than having them professionally made. It carries through the whole handmade aesthetics that I am going for.

After stamping, I cut them up and sew the edges. I tried sewing the labels straight onto the bags and pouches but I found it really hard having to turn the edges in and keep them in place as I sewed.

So, for now I have to do the edges first and individually stitch the labels on by hand. Phew! I have to be honest, I don't know how long I can keep doing this. 

Friday, October 31, 2014

Batik Sarong Terengganu Project - Part 3

I have been wanting to share with you what we learnt on our trip to Terengganu but I'm still waiting for the pics we took. It's been an awfully busy time for everybody but hopefully I'll get them soon.

For now, here are more gorgeous Terengganu batik chop/block for you to feast your eyes on. I am, of course, oversimplifying the process but to give you a quick idea just imagine each piece had to be stamped with wax bit by bit, part by part and then dyed, boiled, re-waxed, re-dyed and re-boiled over and over again depending on the number of colours they decide to use. Each piece. All by hand. 

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Vintage Batik Bags

I've been crazy busy making bags for the Putrajaya International Islamic Arts & Culture Festival (PIIACF) which will be held from this Thursday to Sunday, 30th October - 2nd November.

Here are a few that I've made from these vintage batik.

Zipper and gusset for this bag.

A pleat and a pair of short straps for this one.

Three panels of fabric sewn together to make the front.

And one piece for the back.

Will show more soon :)